Wednesday, July 12, 2017

Phone Interviews - Why do they do this?

Phone interviews can be scary for the candidate, but can translate so much information to the recruiter. Yes, it can catch a person off guard, but that's not why we do it. I liked your resume, but know that it's almost impossible to put everything on a page or two. Maybe I want more information on something or just want to talk about what you are expecting from possible employment. Don't panic. If you're qualified and a good fit, you'll do fine.

First thing I ask is if the person has time to talk. What I really mean is; are you working now and maybe don't want to talk where your present employer can hear? It's okay to call me back. I understand.

Depending on your resume and cover letter, I might ask;

What are your responsibilities where you work now?

How do you handle challenges at work?

What do you know about our company?

Where do you want to be in five years?

Why do you want to leave your present job?

Or if you are presently unemployed; How did you leave your last job?

Do you have any questions for me?

There are no magic answers. Be honest. Think about it, you want this new job to be the perfect fit for you, too.

Depending on the answers, my schedule, and how many other "great" resumes I'm calling that day, I might ask you to come in. Sometimes I just put you in the "good possibility" pile to get back to after I make all my calls.  Or after my training schedule next week, or maybe I'm going to be out for a few days. Recruiting is an ongoing adventure. Sometimes I put you on the bench. It's a file that I might not need right at this moment but I really liked the resume so I'm saving you for that perfect job that sooner or later will open up.

When you get a phone interview remember;

  1. Go to a quiet place where you can talk without interruption
  2. Stay calm 
  3. Think about your answers  
  4. Be honest
  5. Be polite
  6. Make sure you know where you sent your resume
  7. Don't be afraid to ask if you can call back later
Good luck with your job search! 

No comments:

Post a Comment